Affecting almost 35% of adults in the United States*, metabolic syndrome is one of the fastest growing health issues. Metabolic syndrome is a grouping of five risk factors:
- Large waist size (>35 inches for women, >40 inches for men)
- High blood pressure
- High triglycerides
- Low HDL (“good”) cholesterol
- High blood sugar
Anyone with three or more of these risk factors is at risk for metabolic syndrome. This combination makes people twice as likely to develop heart disease and five times as likely to develop diabetes, compared with people who do not have metabolic syndrome.
Improving these measures now can help to prevent serious — and costly — health conditions. In many cases, lifestyle changes can help, such as increased exercise and improved diet.
To help combat metabolic syndrome, Aetna has developed an approach focusing on:
- Identification – Understanding the health and potential risk factors of each employer’s working population
- Intervention – Helping employers clarify their goals in this area
- Incenting – Connecting incentives to specific results, which can help to improve health
- Implementing – Taking the information and goals and turning them into a detailed action plan
Our solution encompasses an array of our programs and can be adapted to any group, from those just starting to develop a wellness strategy to those with a mature strategy already in place.
*American Heart Association