Transcript - Preventive care checklist
The proactive way to stay healthy
Make time to visit your doctor once a year, even if you feel fine. Share your health history. Ask questions. And bring this handy guide to recommend screenings and their frequency.
- Body mass index – Height/weight ration indicates overall health. Normal – 18.5 to 24.9. Yearly, from age 18.
- Blood pressure test – Exam using arm cuff. Indicates heart health. Ideal – 120/80. Yearly, from age 18.
- STD screening – Blood test or cell swab. Yearly, depending on sexual activity.
- Blood sugar test - Screens for Type II diabetes. Regularly, from age 45.
- Colonoscopy - Imaging of the colon via scope. Detects cancer. Every 10 years, from age 45.
- Testicular exam – Checks for changes in appearance and feel. Screens for cancer. Yearly, from age 18.
- Cholesterol test – Blood test. Indicates heart heath. Regularly, from age 35+.
- Prostate exam – Rectal exam and blood test. Detects cancer. Regularly, from 50.
- Abdominal Ultrasound: detects abnormalities in the aorta, the main blood vessel in your midsection. Once, 65-75.
- Pap smear – Microscopic cell exam screens for cervical cancer. Every 3 years, from age 21.
- Mammogram – Breast x-ray to detect abnormal lumps. Every 1 or 2 years, as early as age 40.
- Cholesterol test – Blood test. Indicates heart health. Regularly, from age 45+.
- Bone density scan – Enhanced x-ray. Detects osteoporosis. Regularly, from age 65+.*
They’re not just for kids. Your doctor may recommend other shots depending on your risk factors.
- Flu – Yearly, from age 18.
- TDaP – Combined protection against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (whooping cough). At least once as an adult.
- Shingles – 1 or 2 shots, starting as young as age 50.
- Pneumonia – 2 shots given 1 year apart. Age 65+, or younger if you’re at risk.
* If you have diabetes, smoke, have a family history of the illness or other risk factors, your doctor may recommend earlier screening.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2019.
Copyright Aetna 2019