Working at Aetna is about more than just doing a job. We have an opportunity to reshape health care for America and across the globe. And we are actively seeking new talent to accomplish this goal. As a Fortune 100 company, we are committed to developing young professionals into future leaders through our early-in-career development programs. These programs offer extensive learning opportunities and other benefits, such as area-specific training and access to a wide network of mentors and professionals. Select a business area below to learn more about our specific programs.
We are guided by a strong set of core values. As we develop solutions to improve the quality and affordability of health care, we are committed to integrity and excellence. We care about our employees, our customers and our communities. We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard. We look forward to you joining us.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Sign up and tell us about yourself and your skills. We’ll let you know about student job opportunities that might interest you.
Career Development Programs
General Management Development Program (GMDP)
The GMDP is designed to accelerate your career development and build general management skills with meaningful rotations across Aetna’s core businesses.
The GMDP will begin in June 2017 and provides three, year-and-a-half rotations to allow participants immersive experiences in key areas of Aetna’s business. These business lines are the growth engine for Aetna, fueling the company's investment in the capabilities that will create a simpler, more affordable, and higher quality health care system for employers, providers and consumers.
Locations may include but are not limited to:
- Hartford, CT
- Phoenix, AZ
- Blue Bell, PA
- Tampa, FL
- Atlanta, GA
- Houston, TX
Total program length: 4 ½ years
Rotation length: 1 ½ years
Possible business lines:
- Government Services
- Specialty Business
- Commercial Business
Possible rotation roles:
- Project Management
- Strategic Consulting
- Product Development
- Network Account Management
The GMDP offers unprecedented exposure to Aetna’s core businesses through challenging and exciting rotations. Through this program, participants receive the following benefits:
- Training in, and hands-on learning of, multiple functions that are critical to the success of the business
- Leadership development resources in addition to rotation-specific training
- Exposure to senior leadership through networking opportunities
- Connections to an intimate group of peers within the same GMDP class
- Mentoring relationships throughout the company
When participants complete the program, they will be placed in full-time positions that align with their strengths, skills they developed throughout the program, and business needs.
- Bachelor’s degree, focused in Business, Management, or other relevant majors
- 3.0+ GPA (preferred)
- Willingness to relocate based on available locations
- Effective written and verbal communicationStrong analytical and problem resolution skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to integrity, the Aetna code of conduct and respect for diversity.
Interested in applying?
The primary entrance for the GMDP is through the completion of Aetna’s General Management Internship Program for the previous summer. Both programs recruit within the August-December timeframe at a multitude of schools throughout the country. We also accept applications through our online portal.
The application link for this program is currently closed.
HR Leadership Development Program (HR LDP)
The HR LDP exposes participants to all aspects of our Human Resources function, while providing valuable opportunities to learn about business operations and develop a strategic mindset. Upon successful completion of the program, participants will be offered a full-time position within our Human Resources organization.
- Location: Hartford, CT, with consideration for other office locations based on business needs
- Total length: 2 years
- Rotation length: 8 months
HR LDP participants learn to refine their interpersonal and management skills and build deep client relationships—all of which are foundations for becoming an effective leader. Participants also benefit from a strong personalized focus on their career development and growth through exposure to Aetna’s business. They also have these opportunities outside of formal rotations:
- Formal training programs
- Formal and informal mentoring
- Networking opportunities
Diversity of background, experience and thinking is very important to success in the HR LDP. Additionally, we look for these qualifications:
- GPA of 3.0 or higher, all majors considered
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal abilities
- Keen business sense
Interested in applying?
Recruitment for HR LDP positions occurs throughout the year based on current program cycles, with a majority of candidates receiving a final decision on their application by the end of February.
Set-up a job alert to be notified when the HR LDP opens for applications
Information Technology Leadership Development Program
Information Technology Technical Training Program
IT Technical Training Program (IT TTP)
The IT Technical Training Program is a two-year rotational program that helps participants build a base of technical expertise, leading to accelerated careers in the IT organization. Participants complete the program by following one of several rotational tracks. We developed these tracks to give participants a diverse experience that sets them up for success in a permanent position.
- Two-year rotational program
- Rotation length: 6 months, though time may vary by technical track
- 3.3+ GPA preferred
- Previous intern/co-op work experience preferred
- Technical degree required (for example, computer science, management information systems)
- Technical training
- Mentoring and coaching
- Networking opportunities
- Technical aptitude
- Understanding of Windows operating systems (Windows 2008/Windows 2012)
- Security+ certification and/or CCNA and Network+ training a plus
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Security engineering
- Network engineering
- Hardware engineering
- Application development and more
The application link for the IT TTP is currently closed.
Underwriting Training Program
Jump-start your career with our Underwriting Training Program
Our Underwriting training program gives you the experience, training and support you need to become a future financial leader at a Fortune 50 company. The program offers a challenging and cooperative environment.
Our Underwriting teams have a history of hard-working employees who will go the extra mile to meet and exceed our customers' needs. This is our key success factor for becoming the leader in providing health and productivity solutions. We help corporate, public and labor customers make better decisions about their medical and group benefits for their valued employees.
- Providing best in class pricing and risk management
- Leading the sales and renewal process
- Supporting and collaborating on customer strategies and solutions
- Reconciling financial results accurately and timely
Your role and qualifications:
- Supporting Aetna’s financial and strategic goals through effective underwriting
- Identifying, evaluating and managing risk to maximize revenue and earnings
- Exhibiting strong technical, communication and time management skills
- Managing and analyzing data
- Working in a collaborative team environment
Advantages of working for Aetna:
- Fortune 50 health benefits company
- Dynamic and diverse work environment
- Multiple lines of business and many career opportunities
- Attractive health and dental package
- Competitive 401k plan with company match
- Stock purchase plan and tuition assistance program
- Onsite fitness center, wellness center and pharmacy
- Structured training and personal laptops
In addition to the above training programs, we encourage recent graduates to review our current listing of job postings and apply for entry-level positions that they are interested in. Students can apply to entry-level positions.