Working at Aetna is about more than just doing a job. We have an opportunity to reshape health care for America and across the globe. And we are actively seeking new talent to accomplish this goal. As a Fortune 100 company, we are committed to developing young professionals into future leaders through our early-in-career development programs. These programs offer extensive learning opportunities and other benefits, such as area-specific training and access to a wide network of mentors and professionals. Select a business area below to learn more about our specific programs.
We are guided by a strong set of core values. As we develop solutions to improve the quality and affordability of health care, we are committed to integrity and excellence. We care about our employees, our customers and our communities. We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard. We look forward to you joining us.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Career Development Programs
Consumer Business Professional EXCELerator Program
The Consumer Business Professional EXCELerator Program (PEP) enables participants to network across multiple levels of management and gain experience in various business areas. At the end of the program, participants will understand how Consumer Business is making health care more consumer-focused and easier to use.
Location: Hartford, CT
Total duration: 2 years
- Rotation length: 6-8 months
Potential rotational areas:
- Market Research and Analytics
- Community Relations & Urban Marketing
- Sales and Distribution
- Product Management
- Social Media
- Digital Technology and Innovation
- Strategy and Transformation
- Private Exchange Strategy
The Consumer Business PEP allows participants to be part of a fast-paced, exciting environment while working with a close-knit group of colleagues. The program also offers these developmental opportunities:
- Career coaching from multiple managers
- Internal and external training
- Bachelor’s degree
- Coursework in technology, marketing and consumer business
- 1-3 years of experience or 2-3 internships in a professional field
- Creative, critical and analytical thinking skills
- Effective written and verbal communications
- An enthusiastic team approach
- Strategic problem-solving skills
Interested in applying?
Recruitment for the Consumer Business PEP takes place in late fall/early winter for a start date in June.
Aetna’s 2016 Consumer Business PEP program is currently not accepting applications; our 2017 positions will be coming soon.
HR Leadership Development Program (HR LDP)
The HR LDP exposes participants to all aspects of our Human Resources function, while providing valuable opportunities to learn about business operations and develop a strategic mindset. Upon successful completion of the program, participants will be offered a full-time position within our Human Resources organization.
- Location: Hartford, CT, with consideration for other office locations based on business needs
- Total length: 2 years
- Rotation length: 8 months
HR LDP participants learn to refine their interpersonal and management skills and build deep client relationships—all of which are foundations for becoming an effective leader. Participants also benefit from a strong personalized focus on their career development and growth through exposure to Aetna’s business. They also have these opportunities outside of formal rotations:
- Formal training programs
- Formal and informal mentoring
- Networking opportunities
Diversity of background, experience and thinking is very important to success in the HR LDP. Additionally, we look for these qualifications:
- GPA of 3.0 or higher, all majors considered
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal abilities
- Keen business sense
Interested in applying?
Recruitment for HR LDP positions occurs throughout the year based on current program cycles, with a majority of candidates receiving a final decision on their application by the end of February.
Aetna’s 2016 HR LDP program is currently not accepting applications; our 2017 positions will be coming soon.
Information Technology Leadership Development Program
Information Technology Technical Training Program
IT Technical Training Program (IT TTP)
The IT Technical Training Program is a two-year rotational program that helps participants build a base of technical expertise, leading to accelerated careers in the IT organization. Participants complete the program by following one of several rotational tracks. We developed these tracks to give participants a diverse experience that sets them up for success in a permanent position.
- Two-year rotational program
- Rotation length: 6 months, though time may vary by technical track
- 3.3+ GPA preferred
- Previous intern/co-op work experience preferred
- Technical degree required (for example, computer science, management information systems)
- Technical training
- Mentoring and coaching
- Networking opportunities
- Technical aptitude
- Understanding of Windows operating systems (Windows 2008/Windows 2012)
- Security+ certification and/or CCNA and Network+ training a plus
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Security engineering
- Network engineering
- Hardware engineering
- Application development and more
Information Technology Technical Training Program is currently not accepting applications; our 2017 positions will be coming soon.
Underwriting Training Program
Jump-start your career with our Underwriting Training Program
Our Underwriting training program gives you the experience, training and support you need to become a future financial leader at a Fortune 50 company. The program offers a challenging and cooperative environment.
Our Underwriting teams have a history of hard-working employees who will go the extra mile to meet and exceed our customers' needs. This is our key success factor for becoming the leader in providing health and productivity solutions. We help corporate, public and labor customers make better decisions about their medical and group benefits for their valued employees.
- Providing best in class pricing and risk management
- Leading the sales and renewal process
- Supporting and collaborating on customer strategies and solutions
- Reconciling financial results accurately and timely
Your role and qualifications:
- Supporting Aetna’s financial and strategic goals through effective underwriting
- Identifying, evaluating and managing risk to maximize revenue and earnings
- Exhibiting strong technical, communication and time management skills
- Managing and analyzing data
- Working in a collaborative team environment
Advantages of working for Aetna:
- Fortune 50 health benefits company
- Dynamic and diverse work environment
- Multiple lines of business and many career opportunities
- Attractive health and dental package
- Competitive 401k plan with company match
- Stock purchase plan and tuition assistance program
- Onsite fitness center, wellness center and pharmacy
- Structured training and personal laptops
In addition to the above training programs, we encourage recent graduates to review our current listing of job postings and apply for entry-level positions that they are interested in. Students can apply to entry-level positions:
If you have a disability and need an accommodation to apply for a job or during the selection process, please call 1-800-AetnaHR (1-800-238-6247).
Equal employment opportunity (EEO) is the law. View the EEO poster.