Aetna Announces New Agreement with CVS Caremark
Questions and Answers for Aetna Members
< Back to Announcement
1. How will I be notified of this change and how it impacts me?
We will keep your employer informed as the details of this new relationship develop. You will receive advance notice before any changes occur that will impact you.
2. Why is this transaction good for Aetna’s customers and members?
Together Aetna and CVS Caremark will create differentiation in the marketplace by employing the collective assets of both organizations to engage members in improving their health and optimizing their care management experience. The engagement is enabled across Aetna's technology platform, as well as point-of-care member engagement at CVS Caremark retail pharmacies and MinuteClinic CVS/pharmacy locations and through best-in-breed clinical programs designed to improve members’ health outcomes.
Benefits of the strategic agreement include:
- Capability to interact with members more frequently and in more locations (providers, retail pharmacies, mail-service pharmacies, MinuteClinic CVS/pharmacy locations).
- Access to multiple channels of member interaction will give Aetna more ways to provide members with consumer advocacy programs, integrated care models, Care Considerations and other actionable medical/pharmacy alerts at the point of care.
- Improved cost management performance through industry leading clinical tools and a broad, high quality and value pharmacy network.
- Live counseling and on-site nurse practitioners at CVS Caremark’s retail pharmacies and MinuteClinic CVS/pharmacy locations. In addition, services include Aetna Specialty Pharmacy® and Aetna Rx Home Delivery® mail service pharmacy interactions to flag diagnostics, utilize Care Considerations, engage consumers and improve medication adherence, thus closing gaps in care and improving health care outcomes.
- Ability to better engage members for Aetna condition and disease management programs.
- Rapid integration of pharmacy data into care management programs and systems.
- Ability to create highly personalized, integrated care management using Aetna's strategic infrastructure and CVS Caremark’s integrated access and multi-channel local delivery model.