Awards and recognition
Aetna has been recognized by national organizations and publications for its achievements as a company, its commitment to diversity, its technology innovations, and for employment-related policies and programs.
- Aetna was named a winner of the inaugural CSO40 Awards in 2013 for its international governance, risk and compliance program, ensuring compliance with in-country security and privacy rules around the world.
- Aetna International has been recognized as “Health Insurer of the Year” for 2013 by MENA Insurance Review, the leading magazine covering the insurance sector in the Middle East and North Africa.
- Aetna was ranked 4th in The Civic 50 survey of America’s most community-minded companies for 2012. Conducted by the National Conference on Citizenship and Points of Life in partnership with Bloomberg L.P, the survey recognizes organizations that best use their time, talent and resources to help improve the quality of life in the communities where they do business.
- For the fourth year in a row, Aetna Premier One's health concierge customer service call center has been recognized by J.D. Power and Associates for providing "An Outstanding Customer Service Experience."*
- Aetna was one of eight organizations to be recognized in 2012 by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), together with the White House Business Council and the National Business Group on Health, for its commitment to improving health care equality.
- Aetna and Silverlink Communications received a top award in Consumer Innovation at the 2012 TripleTree iAwards for Wireless Health for their text messaging program for members diagnosed with diabetes.
- Aetna, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School won the 2012 Award for Excellence by the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research for their research evaluating the impact of cost sharing on medication adherence, medical costs and health outcomes for targeted conditions.
- Aetna has been named a 2011 International Data Group InfoWorld Green 15 Awards winner for eliminating paper from the contracting process for health care professionals. Aetna is the first health insurer to offer electronic contract processing to doctors, hospitals and other health care facilities.
- Aetna has again finished first among national health plans in the 2011 PayerView Rankings. According to the sixth annual rankings from athenahealth and Physicians Practice®, Aetna’s business transactions and processes are among the most simple to use, efficient and transparent compared to other national health plans. Aetna has been in either the top one or two spot for five consecutive years of PayerView Rankings.
- The Northeast Business Group on Health awarded Aetna its 2011 eValue8 performance award for the New York metropolitan area. Aetna was the only NY-metro health plan to earn the distinction.
- Aetna in 2011 was awarded the National Business Group on Health 's inaugural "Award for Innovation in Reducing Health Care Disparities." Aetna was among six organizations recognized for their commitment to racial and ethnic equality in health care and outstanding support for a culturally diverse workforce.
- Aetna was named International Benefits Provider of the Year as part of the Forum for Expatriate Management's 2010 Expatriate Management and Mobility Awards. The awards recognize excellence in global mobility in 14 categories of distinction.
- Aetna was named DiversityInc's Top Company for Community Development in 2009 for its support of nonprofits that share its focus on building strong communities, ending racial and ethnic disparities in health care, improving health literacy and promoting disease prevention.
- Aetna was awarded a 2009 Connecticut Climate Change Leadership Award by the state of Connecticut for its efforts to reduce its environmental impact.
- Aetna was identified as the preferred partner for hospitals and health systems across the U.S. in the Davies Public Affairs 2009 national payer survey of hospital executives. The survey reveals a "strong preference from hospitals based on trust, honesty, business practices and good faith negotiations."
- Aetna, in 2008, was awarded the "Recognizing Innovation in Multicultural Health Care Award" by the National Committee for Quality Assurance for its telephonic culturally competent disease management program.
- Aetna was ranked first among national health plans in the 2008 PayerView Rankings. According to the rankings from Athenahealth Inc., an unaffiliated provider of practice management and electronic medical record services, Aetna pays physicians faster and denies claims less often than other health plans measured.
- Aetna was ranked 23rd on CRO's 100 Best Corporate Citizens 2008. The list recognizes the corporate responsibility efforts of corporations in eight categories: climate change, employee relations, environment, financial, governance, human rights, lobbying and philanthropy.
- Aetna is a winner in the Institute for Healthcare Advancement's 2008 Health Literacy Awards. Aetna won in the "research" category for its Asthma Health Literacy study.